The Best Films That I Watched In 2017 pt. 2

Yesterday we started a countdown of some of the best films that we covered in the End Of The Week Shorts. Today, we conclude...



Like Stars On Earth (2007)

Buzzing with joy, music and emotion, I can't bring myself to say a bad thing about this.


Bill Burr: Let It Go (2010)

Bill Burr's finest hour? Who knows, but this is the reason I love stand-up.


Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

Russel and Monroe, a perfect pairing for a perfect screwball comedy.


Teen Wolf (1985)

80s cheese doesn't come any finer. Not as iconic as the likes of Breakfast Club, but damn is this good.


Irene (2014)

One the most memorable short films that I watched this year - and not just because it made me realise that my mediocre high school Spanish grade is somewhat handy.


Leviathan (2012)

The most incredible and inventive documentary of our times, this is maybe the Man With A Movie Camera of the 21st century.


Harakiri (1962)

1960s Japanese cinema is rife with masterpieces. To say that this is one of the greatest films of the period speaks for itself.


The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

A sensational 50s sci-fi picture that, like the best do, combines absurdity and subtext masterfully.


Mr. And Mrs. (2012)

This is the year where I saw some of my first Nollywood pictures, and it's Mr. And Mrs. that has sold the form of cinema to me.


Lessons Of Darkness (1992)

The imagery alone is powerful enough to distinguish this as a masterpiece. Herzog's voice over, not necessarily for its content, but its presence, pushes this over the edge.


Cadillac Records (2008)

This is not a great movie. But, I have to list it here for the fact that some of the songs still ring through my head.


Fièvre (1921)

French Impressionism at its most audacious and subdued.


Pather Panchali (1955)

So good it still leaves me without many words.

    

Queen (2014)

75% of all the films that I have ever covered that begin with "Q" are Queen. One of my most treasured experiences of the year was watching this for the first time.


The Rise And Fall Of Idi Amin (1981)

Worth the watch and the mention just for the words "you will suffer!" that are said time and time again.


The Big City (1963)

Epstein told us what photogénie was back in the 1920s. Ray shows us like few others have ever managed with The Big City in 1963. An indisputable masterpiece.


Small Time (1996)

With as much heart and as little pretence as a film can have, Small Time is pure, chaotic joy


Sans Soleil (1983)

The essay film is a hard sell. Sans Soleil, or Sunless, is worth its weight in gold. (That doesn't make complete sense, but I stand by it).


Miracle Of Morgan's Creek (1944)

I can't remember being put through so many emotional ups and downs whilst watching a film in all of my life - and certainly not in the way I was when watching the madness of this film.


The Prince and The Showgirl (1957)

One of the most underrated Monroe pictures, yet probably my favourite.


Kahaani (2012)

I'm not a big fan of thrillers or mysteries, but Kahaani has got to be one of my favourites.


Tetsuo (1989)

This is either the only horror film I have ever seen, or it is not a horror movie at all. Whatever this is, it's tremendous.


The Innocents (1961)

Completely captivating, this took me by surprise and I remain in its grips.


Udaan (2010)

A coming-of-age drama done perfectly.


Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

The dissonance that I deal with every time I talk about Tarkovsky or Bresson, yet have liked every single Transformers movie, is not as strong as you'd think. I don't care, this is brilliant.


Woman In The Dunes (1964)

Yet another Japanese masterpiece finds its way onto the list.


Masaan (2015)

A powerful orchestration of drama at complete harmony with itself, and with a place in its centre for you to sit in awe.


Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)

Rivalling the likes of Tokyo Story, this is one of the most touching films ever made about parenthood.


There it is, the best films that I watched in 2017. To open up the new year, we will do one more countdown of the worst movies I watched last year. But, for now, what are your favourites films that we've covered on the blog? Did I miss anything out that you enjoyed?





Previous post:

The Best Films That I Watched In 2017 pt. 1

Next post:

The Terrible Movies That I Watched In 2017

More from me:

amazon.com/author/danielslack

Popular Posts