Virtue's Ploy Part III


For a mobile friendly version of this page please follow the link:


This is part 2 of 3. If you want to download and own this in full as an ebook, please follow the links...



The pricing on Smashwords is dependent on you. You may choose to download the ebook for free or pay otherwise.

For part 2 on the blog:


Comment below or tell me what you think at:



Let's finish...

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

Breathing heavily, Brian jogs into the room. He falls into his chair.

BRIAN

Shit.

He takes the fuel cell and plugs it into a thick wire that extends out of a port in the control panel.

BRIAN

Scarlett, what's the energy reading on this?

SCARLETT

It's one hundred percent.

BRIAN

Thanks.

He cuts the wire from the panel and soldiers it to the scanner.

SCARLETT

We've got some activity again, Brian.

BRIAN

Ah, shit! I knew it. Could you bring it up again please.

SCARLETT

Yep.

On the screen is Jack knocking on Scarlett's bay doors.

BRIAN

At least you didn't let that asshole in like you did that dick of a soldier. Do you know he almost killed me?

SCARLETT

Sorry, Brian.

BRIAN

Ah, don't apologise it wasn't your fault. Well...

Jack starts pounding.

BRIAN

I'm going to see what he wants. Scarlett, can you secure the emergency hatch?

SCARLETT

Sorry, no. It's not part of the system.

BRIAN

Duh. It's fine, I'll do it.

INT. SCARLETT'S CARGO BAY

Brian closes the emergency exit hatch and rolls a nearby empty container over it.

He then pushes a button on the side of the container causing the wheels to retract from the bottom and the container to slam to the ground.

BOOOM

BRIAN

Got to be cautious. Should have done it before, but here we are. Got to be cautious.

INT. SCARLETT'S BAY DOORS

Brian peers through a transparent screen in the bay door toward the outside.

Jack's pounding subsides and his face appears in front of the screen.

BRIAN

Hello, I'm Brian.

JACK

Uh-huh.

BRIAN

Now you tell me your name.

Jack stares at him, fidgeting and licking his lips.

JACK

Jack.

BRIAN

Well, Jack, you are either very lucky or seriously fucked up. Or both, who am I to judge? What is going on with you?

Jack smears his hand across the screen obscuring his face from Brian.

BRIAN

Ok, you clean that off...

He stops, leaning against the door in pain.

BRIAN

... I'll be back in a short while.

Brian turns away and drops to the floor.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

Brian stumbles in, wailing.

BRIAN

My fucking brain!

He throws himself at the control panel, reaches below and switches on the scanner by the plug.

He pulls himself up, takes a syringe from the draw under the control panel and then draws some blood from his arm.

BRIAN

We'll probably need this to figure out what went wrong later. Always think ahead.

The scanner screams as the bulbs flash on and off.

Brian stands before the contraption pulling at his hair.

BRIAN

Let's hope it works.

He stumbles forward and throws himself through.

Time slows.

As Brian passes through the scanner he crumples up in pain.

The bulbs on the scanner begin to burst sending glass raining down on Brian's falling body.

Time speeds back up.

Brian's body smashes into the ground with a dull thud.

He moans a little, pulling his knees up to his chest.

BRIAN

Fuck me... never again...

He slowly sits himself up against the control panel and starts picking glass from his arm.

BRIAN

I don't feel too bad about having to retake physics now. Just in case you're slow, the scanner recognised my cells and targeted the non-self one's. With less power the machine would simply target those non-self bodies and calculate where they are in my body and how many there were. But, with that fuel cell, the energy put upon the virus and the cells it attacked was sufficient enough to fuck with the electrons. This lead to the cells and virus being thrown into space because the engines work with a similar principal of entanglement and so on. You connect the virus to fuel expulsion and out it goes.

Brian rips his sleeve off and wraps it around his head, covering his left eye.

BRIAN

By the way, I can't see out of my left eye. I'm fine though, thanks for asking. It's been slowly going though, so that's why I'm not panicking. That, and I must look like a hardass by now. Fucking Rambo or something. Like I been through shit.

Brian gets up and sits in his chair.

BRIAN

Scarlett?

SCARLETT

How are you doing? That didn't seem too pleasant.

Brian looks straight us, arms to the side, eyebrows raised.

BRIAN

(back to Scarlett:)

All good. Is that dick still outside?

SCARLETT

Take a look for yourself.

Brian looks at the screen and groans.

INT. SCARLETT'S BAY DOORS

Jack wipes the screen clean and smiles at Brian.

BRIAN

Poor you. You must be a really flat character.

JACK

Huh?

BRIAN

You have few explained motives, little back story and you're not very charming either. Also...

(notices)

Hey would you look at this, you have a blue eye. How did I not pick up on that? You're going to have to hold on again.

He runs off.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

BRIAN

Me again, Scarlett. Do still you have access to the station's surveillance cameras?

SCARLETT

The encryption stayed up so I can pull some things, but what do you need?

BRIAN

Anything with that guy in it.

There's a moment in which she works.

BRIAN

(to us)

Facial recognition is how she'll do it. And the cameras, you remember how I said I have control of them? Well, that's why no one knows where I am. Upload an encryption to the system and boom. Invisible.

SCARLETT

Ok, here you go.

BRIAN

Let's see if I can cover my ass a little.

Scarlett plays the footage of Jack, Elliot and Lola.

BRIAN

Well, shit. Has he killed more people?

SCARLETT

You tell me.

She pulls up footage of a grenade exploding, killing six soldiers.

Jack walks around the corner in the footage and shoots the dead bodies with his gun, then their own, watching the reams of bullets tear flesh apart.

BRIAN

I knew this guy was weird. Hey, Scarlett, is there any more incoming spacecrafts to the station.

SCARLETT

There's been one circling the area for the past twenty five minutes, but it won't make a final approach.

BRIAN

Ok, thanks. Whilst I go and talk to this guy, try and send a message to central control if you can. Call me if anything happens.

SCARLETT

What's happening?

BRIAN

We need to make contact with central from here because I can't get out there unless he leaves.

SCARLETT

Ok. What do I say?

BRIAN

I don't know. Call me if you get them.

Brian picks up the syringe full of his blood he took earlier and walks out the room.

INT. ON-SHIP BATHROOM

Brian pulls a bottle out of the cupboard, kicking the mess at his feet away.

In the bottle he opens up what look like glucose test strips.

BRIAN

No, these aren't the things diabetics pee on. They're blood test strips.

He applies a drop of blood to one and leaves the strip by the sink.

BRIAN

Told you I'd need it.

He then pulls a tiny folded square of paper out of the bottle. He opens it up dozens of times bigger than he should be able to to.

The sheet is crammed with test result answers.

BRIAN

(sighs)

Despite having blood tests in bottles and be as simple as this, I bet this bit of technology impresses you most. You ever hear that paper can only be folded eight times? Not entirely true. But, some genius thought that was impractical nonetheless. They've abused the technology though, to ironic proportions.

Brian strains to read the tiny print.

INT. SCARLETT'S BAY DOORS - LATER

Jack knocks his head against the screen, staring at Brian as he comes.

BRIAN

Sorry I kept you so long, but I was running some tests. It turns out you're probably positive.

Jack stops knocking his head against the screen.

BRIAN

What I assume has happened to you is that you've contracted a mutated virus that migrated to your brain through your eye. The same shit happened to me.

He lifts up his the material covering his eye revealing a completely white eyeball.

JACK

Stop.

BRIAN

Stop what?

JACK

Open the door.

BRIAN

I've seen your work, no thank you. P.S. You've got guns somewhere.

Jack shows his hands, no guns.

BRIAN

Where'd you put them?

JACK

Open the door.

BRIAN

No.

JACK

But, we're the same, Brian.

BRIAN

Really? What makes you say that?

JACK

I kill, you've killed.

BRIAN

That's true, but it doesn't make us the same. Anyway, it was off screen. Nobody cares.

JACK

In killing, you created me. I am meeting my creator.

BRIAN

How's the experience going?

JACK

Meh.

BRIAN

Can I ask you something?

JACK

Yes.

BRIAN

What is going on in there?

Jack looks behind him.

JACK

Where?

BRIAN

Your mind. What on earth are you thinking?

JACK

That you, much like everyone else, are a threat. I don't feel a great urge to end you though.

BRIAN

Can you remember anything before today: parents, friends, anything?

JACK

Of course, I detest them all.

BRIAN

Come on, work with me. You want to be a flat character forever?

JACK

What?

BRIAN

(sighs)

It sounds stupid to say, but I think the virus has taken over your mind.

JACK

My mind?

BRIAN

Uh-huh. Well, that and it's a metaphor.

JACK

What does that mean?

BRIAN

That you are slave to a new owner.

JACK

What about you?

BRIAN

What about me?

JACK

Who's your owner?

BRIAN

What's your name?

JACK

Jack.

BRIAN

Then that is your owner, leaving mine to be Brian.

JACK

But, why?

BRIAN

Because without a name we are told we are nothing, Jack. Without a name you might as well not exist.

JACK

But, you can still affect the world.

BRIAN

Sure, you can kill people, but what will it mean to anyone other than a nameless body?

JACK

I have a name.

BRIAN

Yes, you do, but who knows it?

JACK

Who knows your name?

BRIAN

You for starters, Eliza upstairs, Ed, Joe... I could go on.

JACK

So, you mean more to the world than me?

BRIAN

Who am I to say? But, yes, why not.

There is a long silence.

JACK

What am I to do now?

BRIAN

About?

JACK

I don't know?

BRIAN

Then why ask?

JACK

To get answers.

BRIAN

Without asking the right question you will never get the answer you want. Jeez, this is turning stichomythic.

(to us)

Why I paid so much attention in English and not physics will always astound me.

JACK

Will you come out here?

BRIAN

No, there's no chance of that.

JACK

Why?

BRIAN

I don't trust you.

JACK

You don't trust me?

BRIAN

No, I don't. Only myself.

JACK

But, we're the same.

BRIAN

You and me? No.

JACK

I have a growing desire to get my hands around your neck.

BRIAN

Nice to know.

They stare at each other.

BRIAN

We have reached some kind of impasse. Here you are, wanting to kill me, here I am, wanting to get back out there.

JACK

Why?

BRIAN

Do you remember the name Eliza? Well, she is going to help me get where I need. There's been a whole kerfuffle with this disease nonsense, but, I'd like to get on.

JACK

And where's that?

BRIAN

Where I need to be? The top of the world.

JACK

But, we're in space.

BRIAN

That means nothing.

JACK

We are alone--

BRIAN

And so mean very little. Yeah, yeah.

Jack grows restless.

JACK

You should get out of your own head.

BRIAN

And go where exactly?

JACK

You could step out here.

BRIAN

Why?

JACK

I want to see the life leave your eyes.

BRIAN

I can't say I don't want to see the same in you. How do you feel right now?

JACK

A little tired.

BRIAN

Like you need to sleep, or your body is going to give out on you?

JACK

A bit of both.

BRIAN

How sad.

Jack laughs.

BRIAN

Well, would you look at the emotion! Jack, is killing fun to you?

JACK

No, it's more like an itch that needs to be scratched.

BRIAN

You can't scratch an itch away just like you can't laugh happiness away.

(to us)

Aphorisms.

JACK

Nonsense.

BRIAN

For what reason?

Jack scratches his neck.

BRIAN

Uh-huh.

JACK

Why do you kill, doesn't it feel good?

BRIAN

All I did was push a button.

JACK

And then what?

BRIAN

A whole lot of viruses killed a whole lot of people.

JACK

Then you killed them.

BRIAN

I get why you say that... and I guess I agree.

JACK

It felt good?

BRIAN

It felt like I had done something I was never supposed to and never thought I could do.

JACK

What happens to you now?

BRIAN

Well, that is dependant on how this pans out.

JACK

What about the people that are after you?

BRIAN

Maybe I just leave them to you and you to them. You seem pretty good with a gun, and a grenade.

JACK

It's not hard to squeeze or to let go.

BRIAN

Doesn't that seem to be the case for the both of us?

JACK

Maybe I won't kill you.

BRIAN

Maybe I still don't trust you.

Jack stares Brian straight in the eye.

BRIAN

Especially when you look me in the eye.

Jack crosses his arms, growing angry.

SCARLETT

Brian, please come to the cockpit.

BRIAN

(imitating Arnold)

I'll be back.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

Brian rushes in.

BRIAN

What is it?

SCARLETT

That ship is on approach. It's on screen.

BRIAN

Look at this, maybe the soldiers can kill Jack for me.

SCARLETT

Who's Jack?

BRIAN

The guy upfront.

SCARLETT

They've entered the airlock.

BRIAN

Shit! Ok, um...

Brian runs out of the room.

INT. SCARLETT'S BAY DOORS

Jack looks toward the sound coming from the airlock.

Brian knocks on the screen.

BRIAN

You might want to run, they will probably kill you.

A military spacecraft comes through the space station bay doors.

Jack walks away from Scarlett.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

Brian speed walks in, squeezing the bridge of his nose, thinking.

BRIAN

Scarlett, have you managed to get that feed from the pilot's compartment?

SCARLETT

No, I'm trying. I know where it's coming from and can put in a call, but that involves making our network vulnerable.

Brian paces, thinking.

BRIAN

Could they take over the ship?

SCARLETT

It's possible.

BRIAN

To what degree?

SCARLETT

It'd take about thirty minutes, but they could get full access. We could by-pass that though by taking off. Safety procedures would protect us, giving us a further hour before they could remotely control us entirely.

BRIAN

Ok, put in the call.

SCARLETT

How do I get their attention?

BRIAN

What?

SCARLETT

What do I say?

BRIAN

Hey, it's Brian?

SCARLETT

That should work.

(calls)

Oh.

Eliza pops up on the control panel screen. Brian takes his seat in front of it.

She sees the state of him, but before she can react:

BRIAN

Thank you, Scarlett, and hello Eliza. It's been a while.

ELIZA

Brian, I don't know what you did with the last team, but there is a new one coming to collect you now.

BRIAN

Scarlett, could you please send Eliza the footage of Jack.

SCARLETT

Will do.

BRIAN

Thanks. Eliza, what is being sent to you right now is footage of what happened to the soldiers. So, if you would, could you watch the video and then send the team after Jack.

ELIZA

(watching a second screen)

This guy is almost as sick as you.

BRIAN

Hey.

ELIZA

Ahh... he's eating from that bowl... that's fucking disgusting. Maybe you aren't the same.

BRIAN

Thank you.

ELIZA

I don't have control over the team, but I think they need to know this guy is up there. Give me a minute.

The screen goes off.

BRIAN

Scarlett, is there an accessible feed of the ship that just landed?

SCARLETT

I think this is it.

Security camera footage shows up on the screen.

It shows a team of fifteen men in a line being given commands by another.

The soldiers break up and head toward the docking bay exit.

Eliza pops back up on the screen.

ELIZA

Seems that nobody likes Jack around here. Do you know I talked to him earlier?

BRIAN

Really?

ELIZA

Yeah, he didn't have much to say. I did suggest that the team break into two and that one half should detain you--

BRIAN

Rhyme.

ELIZA

(sighs)

But, they're all after Jack. So it looks like you're going to have to sit tight.

BRIAN

(not grateful)

Thanks.

ELIZA

What? It's been a long night. The sooner you're detained, the sooner I get to go home.

BRIAN

Well, we've lost our action packed third act. I envisioned chases, guns, timers, with the thirty minutes 'til shut down and having to take off. My plate spinning skills could have come into play... I don't know, maybe we can just put it on hold. Anyway, isn't this stuff exciting for you?

ELIZA

No.

BRIAN

It's not everyday you deal with a mastermind like me though.

ELIZA

It's not everyday that I have diarrhoea. Doesn't mean I look forward to it.

BRIAN

Fair enough. What's that like then?

ELIZA

What?

BRIAN

Going home after work.

ELIZA

You don't have a home?

BRIAN

No, I do. I just meant: what goes on with Eliza after all this? Let's find out a bit about your character.

ELIZA

I go home and sleep. What makes you so curious?

BRIAN

I only ask for the sake of conversation. Don't think I'm coming onto you, I'm taken. Isn't that right, Scarlett?

SCARLETT

So embarrassing.

Brian laughs.

ELIZA

Wow, in love with you on-board computer. Original.

BRIAN

It's better than anything you've got.

ELIZA

That's true. I'm happy for you two.

Scarlett tuts. Brian dismisses it.

BRIAN

What? You mean there's no cat at home waiting for you?

ELIZA

I hate cats, evil things.

BRIAN

Maybe I should get one.

ELIZA

Maybe.

BRIAN

Nah, I'm more of a dog person.

ELIZA

I got bit by a dog once, look at this.

She pulls up her sleeve revealing a deep scar.

BRIAN

Nice. But take a look at this.

He pulls off the bandage across his face.

ELIZA

Oh, that's ugly, you should put that thing back on.

BRIAN

What's wrong with it?

ELIZA

You have no pupil, that's fucked up.

Brian puts the bandage back on.

BRIAN

I'm blind you know. You guys wouldn't take out a disabled guy?

ELIZA

It's an easy fix. How did you do it?

BRIAN

There was this loose bit of carpet in one of the corridors, I tripped over it and smashed my face into a dead woman's high heel. It went straight into my eye socket spinning my eyeball out of place.

ELIZA

Bullshit.

BRIAN

I kid you not.

ELIZA

Fuck off, tell me the truth.

BRIAN

You wouldn't believe me.

ELIZA

I'll have to if you tell the truth.

BRIAN

Ok, so there was a gorilla...

ELIZA

Brian, you dick.

BRIAN

All right. The same virus that infected Jack got into my system.

ELIZA

How ironic. Doesn't that mean that you should be raping dead corpses by now, or is that why you decided to kill everyone on the space station?

BRIAN

How unprofessional. No, I was a maniac before the virus, but still smart enough to extract it from my system before it took over.

ELIZA

Clever you.

BRIAN

Thanks. Hey, isn't there anyone else in that room.

ELIZA

No, it's like two foot squared. There's this control panel and a door, that's about it.

BRIAN

So you sit in there all day?

ELIZA

No, just when you call.

BRIAN

That's too bad.

ELIZA

There's probably people that are supposed to supervise our communications, but I doubt they've been taking this very seriously.

BRIAN

What? I kill thousands of people on a space station and only you and that dickhead Ed notices? I guess your hubris makes this a tragedy on your end then.

ELIZA

Well, it's company policy to deal with any and all emergencies discreetly. This way there is no panic, no media frenzy and people are lead to believe they live in a peaceful world.

BRIAN

So, wait. This kind of thing happens a lot?

ELIZA

No. Probably not. But, I wouldn't know. They teach you how to communicate with crazies and how to notify the right authorities, but I've only been on the job four weeks. This is my first situation.

BRIAN

How on earth did you get this job?

ELIZA

What? It interests you?

BRIAN

No. It just seems like you're so bad at it.

ELIZA

(laughing)

Thank you.

BRIAN

No problem.

ELIZA

Well, you're not too great at yours.

BRIAN

Hey, I'm an ok astronaut.

ELIZA

No, I meant this whole mastermind business.

BRIAN

Well, this is my first situation too, and anyways I think it's going quite well.

Eliza catches something on another screen.

ELIZA

It looks like Jack is about to be taken down, that means in a few minutes you will be detained and taken in.

BRIAN

You forget that I can still push the button.

ELIZA

There's doubt on that one.

BRIAN

You should all be really afraid.

ELIZA

Meh, I don't think you'd press the button knowing my sweet ass is down here.

BRIAN

I'm taken, don't forget that. P.S. Don't think I don't know that you're humouring me to stall and keep me sat still. It seems you're very good at your job, you know. This isn't you first situation is it? I mean, getting to be the head of sector seven takes experience, no?

ELIZA

(sighs)

What can I say?

BRIAN

Made you seem more likeable though?

ELIZA

I don't know what you're talking about.

INT. CORRIDORS - SAME

The Team Leader signals his team to stay put as he pushes his back to a corner.

Jack can be heard humming to the beat of his footsteps.

The Team Leader brings his gun up and leans around the corner.

BANG

The bullet hits Jack in the spine. He drops to the floor instantaneously.

Team Leader steps out from the corner.

His team follow him over to Jack's body, crowding around him, looking down, full of hatred.

He groans and spits up a little blood.

TEAM LEADER

Motherfucker!

BOOM

The team of soldiers stomp Jack to death.

B-B-B-B-BOOM

It only takes three seconds, but they continue to stomp, breaking bones and bloodying their yellow gas tight suits.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

BRIAN

So what happens when the soldiers are finished with Brian?

ELIZA

You get brought to headquarters.

BRIAN

Will you be there?

ELIZA

Maybe tomorrow. You know, when they've finished torturing you.

BRIAN

Tomorrow as in like twenty hours from now or in the morning?

ELIZA

That depends on how quick you break.

BRIAN

You lot are really sure that this remote doesn't do anything. Shouldn't I be considered a worldwide threat?

ELIZA

Don't think you're not, you're way up there.

BRIAN

Then what the fuck is going on here?

ELIZA

Listen, I'm new here. I don't know how things work yet, I've never been through the process.

BRIAN

(not believing her)

Yeah...

ELIZA

Why would I lie?

BRIAN

(checks time)

Are those soldiers wearing those yellow suits again?

ELIZA

What else would they wear?

BRIAN

Here's me thinking I'd have to boot up Scarlett and run off. The only way to survive in this air is to be immune to it. Even when you are, you're not really safe.

(taps his bandage)

There are some of my viruses that eat through materials, those will get into their suits and kill them. They're probably already dead.

ELIZA

How do you know this?

BRIAN

Number one, I made them and number two, I've seen it happen.

ELIZA

Shit.

BRIAN

Uh-huh. You know, you're luckier than you think. If I died earlier the planet would have had it. Just utter annihilation. My brain would have died or succumbed to the...

Brian's attention is stolen by Eliza's face trying to figure something out.

BRIAN

What?

ELIZA

Nothing.

He tries to gauge the situation, but gives up.

BRIAN

Anyway. Don't worry. Send me the coordinates of headquarters and Scarlett will get me there.

ELIZA

You truly are crazy.

BRIAN

How? I don't want you guys bombing the space station. And you forget, I still have leverage here.

ELIZA

(questions, then concedes)

Whatever you want, Brian. Don't forget we've got a lock on your network now.

BRIAN

Yeah, yeah. Hey, where's Ed?

ELIZA

Probably dealing with some other situation.

BRIAN

Nice to know. How about the guys at my house?

ELIZA

Not great.

Eliza works on another screen for a moment. Brian snaps his fingers.

BRIAN

Just figured it. The guys at my house aren't doing well because the disease and signal is freaking them out. Every time I'm rolling about in pain, they get warnings that the things going to blow.

ELIZA

(sighs)

Clever you.

BRIAN

Ah, it doesn't matter. They wouldn't have by-passed it anyway.

ELIZA

Ok, I've sent the coordinates. Are you truly going to bring yourself in?

BRIAN

I said I would.

ELIZA

Then I wish you luck, Brian, and I'll see you shortly. Or eventually.

BRIAN

Thanks.

The screen switches off.

BRIAN

Ok, Scarlett.

No response.

BRIAN

Scarlett?

SCARLETT

Seatbelt.

Brian straps himself in with a sigh.

INT. DOCKING BAY 2

Scarlett lifts up and backs out toward the airlock, it opens up and she passes through.

The airlock closes, leaving half a team of ambling soldiers cursing and spluttering toward their ship.

EXT. NASA SECURITY HEADQUARTERS - LATER

Scarlett pulls up to an opening air lock on a massive space station with NASA printed in large on the front face.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT

BRIAN

(to himself)

Why am I here?

Brian pulls into a docking spot.

BRIAN

(to us)

By the way, they still call it NASA because it sounds so cool and the heritage. Still run by the UGG though. I told you that before, right?

SCARLETT

System's being overridden again, Brian.

BRIAN

It's fine, just open the doors. I'll go meet them.

(gets up)

See you in a bit, Scarlett.

SCARLETT

In a bit.

Brian walks out pulling the remote.

BRIAN

(to us)

P.S. Watch this.

He clicks the button.

Nothing.

Brian gasps.

BRIAN

Ohhhhhh! So he's been bluffing all the way!?

He takes the pocket knife out and uses it to twist a small screw in the back of the remote.

It turns on.

BRIAN

No. I was just showing you that it needs activation. You know how many times I've fallen over? Shit, I'm not stupid. It's also why they have doubts as to whether it's real or not--just in case you're wondering.

INT. NASA RECEPTION

Brian signs in at a desk with a receptionist.

He raises his eyebrows to us, then double takes a glance at the receptionist. He snaps his fingers.

BRIAN

Julie.

JULIE

Mm-huh?

BRIAN

Brian. I'm a pilot. You used to work up stairs.

JULIE

I know. I'm not supposed to talk to you.

He looks over his shoulder to the security guard, then leans in.

BRIAN

You've got to know why they brought me here. Tell me, and I'll make you my receptionist when I'm president.

JULIE

(huffs)

It's a conference. No one knows anything else.

SECURITY GUARD

Come on now.

The security guard steps in.

BRIAN

I've still got the button and you've not even got a gun, mate.

He steps back.

BRIAN

See you, Julie.

She nods a dismissive goodbye.

The security guard gestures the way down the corridor, all of which are completely empty.

BRIAN

(taps desk)

I was serious, Julie.

He starts off down the corridor, another security guard leading Julie from reception.

BRIAN

(to us as he walks)

Late character addition, I know, but nice girl that.

INT. NASA CONFERENCE HALL

Brian walks into a huge circular conference room with a single chair and table surrounded by a multitude of men and women of all nationalities at desks of their own around him.

Brian's walked by the security guard to the table and sat down. The security guard then returns the doors.

Ed stands in a distant corner.

BRIAN

(tuts)

He set it up then.

Someone on a larger desk who's probably in charge stands, a POLITICIAN of sorts.

POLITICIAN

Because we have nothing better to do, the floor is yours. The situation is transparent and so you are allowed to address us before further action.

Brain flashes him a fake smile and he sits.

BRIAN (V.O)

(whispering)

Shit. I wasn't expecting that.

He takes a moment for all levity to dissipate...

... then takes a deep breath.

BRIAN

I am outraged. I am outraged because... because I have simply been hurt.

POLITICIAN

Excuse--

BRIAN

(standing up)

No! I will say this now and never again. Nobody say a single word until fucking asked to.

He stares at the faces of the men around him, wanting them to say something, wanting to annihilate whoever dares.

He calms.

BRIAN

I'm not going to be able to pull off anything like Chaplin or even Jimmy Stewart here...

(sighs)

... and I don't have a political agenda, but... we usually live in a place we call Earth. A place where people live. But, what are people? What the fuck are these gangly, self-righteous, nasty, relentless bacterium? To be honest, there's no other word for it but people. Human. Homosapien. You, me and whoever the fuck else wants to make a claim. Where do people live? I believe the word is country. Russia, America, Ethiopia, Australia, China, England, Brazil, Iran, Algeria, Germany, Mexico and all the other places you people were waiting to hear. We must be insane. I tell you, fucking insane. People, countries, human, continents, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, the fucking Milky Way, goddamn capital letters. Capital fucking letters? I sometimes don't know what to say to ideals, customs, like that. But, I fucking do now. What I have to say is... Now. Mine. Fuck. And You. Give me all you've got because I'm fucking asking. All you pricks don't mean shit to me. I would bite your motherfucking heads off and shit you out, just to know that I could flush you away and never have to think about interacting with you again. But... but, we need a point.

(whispers)

Fuck, I need a point.

(sighs)

We're all idiots, I hear myself now and inside there's something that's nagging...

(high pitch nagging voice)

Shut up, just go home, there's no--blah-b fucking shitty drama, T.V bullshit.

(back to normal)

But, that voice, it's not mine. I don't and will never own shit. One can only ever simply be... you know? That voice, for all intents and purposes, belongs to you lovely people. I get that... fucking... nagging... because of yourselves. I am a person that is willing to let that all go for an apparent... omnipotent, grandiose, higher, kind of feeling that is, in a sense, opposed to the... the, the, the nagging, you know. There's a world we all see, and, simply put, it's our own. We can only see through these things stuck in our head and unfortunately they're not connected to much more than a brain. Brains, says Brian, are apart of reality. Everything that our imagination cannot tangibly get its talons and proboscis' on is apart of reality. Then, there of course is the mind: the true reality within us all. Because reality is just what we want to believe in, and if anyone says anything other than that... well, I don't know, rape and mutilation is what I'd suggest, but... Reality one is the universe beyond the mind, what simply is. Reality two is the mind. I say 'the', because I can only refer to one - my own. But, I of course mean all of our think boxes. What happens when reality one no longer matters to an entity within it? Reality two is the simple answer. To us, whatever makes you believe makes us compatible...

(searches for words)

... is... There are many reality twos, you know, me you and so on.... We are stuck within ourselves like a raindrop is in the sea...

Brian searches for words again.

BRIAN (V.O)

(whispering)

I didn't steal that from Blade Runner, did I? Wait, something's coming.

He sits down and looks at them again.

BRIAN

There it is! I have found my argument! I am a raindrop. I am a raindrop! I fucking love hearing that. I am a raindrop. I have fallen from a cloud, a place I am indifferent to, a place I don't give a single fuck about and I am falling. I'm falling fast. In motherfucking capital italics, I'm falling fast. What happens when I stop falling? I'll tell you what. I am not going to hit a country. I am not going to smash into oblivion. I will not evaporate and cycle. I, the raindrop, am going to be embraced by no one! I will keep my mind. Fuck reality one!

(tapping his head)

This will be reality one.

Everyone just looks at him.

BRIAN

Questions?

POLITICIAN

What exactly is it you want from us?

BRIAN

Papers dipshit. You've got a hostage situation here.

POLITICIAN

Where--

BRIAN

There's no where, when, how or what. Hostages don't ask questions!

Nobody knows what to say.

BRIAN

That's you, the hostages. You're in an unfortunately weird situation where you have to negotiate yourself out of circumstances in which your life is being held for ransom to subsidise a deal in which your life stops being yours, and starts becoming mine. In part at least--if you fail to extend me any kind of courteous or empathetic forgiveness. Meaning, shut the fuck up and give me what I want before I destroy you.

The Politician looks around to all the beaten faces in the room then stands, his hand on his chest, asking to speak.

BRIAN

Go ahead.

POLITICIAN

If there were such a thing to see as impossibility--

BRIAN

Rhyme.

POLITICIAN

... then the mind would crumble and I couldn't walk.

BRIAN

You couldn't walk?

POLITICIAN

No, and I couldn't talk either.

He draws a bundle of documents out from his desk and makes his way down to Brian.

POLITICIAN

How this begins, I do not know.

Brian looks at him and smiles.

INT. SCARLETT'S COCKPIT - LATER

Brian sits in his seat with a huge grin on his face.

BRIAN

Well, that was easy. Those NASA boys are quite cool. Seems like they really understood me. I thought the speech was a disaster. They caught me off guard. But...

Brain holds up a bunch of papers.

BRIAN

They'll call me, Mr. President! Everything fell into place and I convinced them I'm not too bad a guy to be a politician. So how's that?

He beams at us, bewildered, excited.

INT. OFFICE - MORNING

Brian sits behind a massive desk in a neat suit with his eye fixed whilst a crew set up a camera in front of him.

Eliza stands in the corner watching. Julie hands her a coffee.

Brian salutes them both as a woman mics him up and the director counts down from ten.

Brian smiles at the camera and pulls up the remote.

DIRECTOR

Four, three, two...

He points at Brian indicating go.

BRIAN

Fellow humans...

He plays with the remote.

BRIAN

... control...

>FADE OUT

END


Want more from The DSU? Stories are available on the blog or for download at:



A huge thanks for reading. Comment below or tell me what you think at:



Better still give the book a review at:



Popular Posts